life as we know it

Thursday, January 26, 2012

C-ya C-collar!!

 Hey everybody! This is Nick and the fact that I can type this blog shows that I have improved vastly from Kelly's last post. The progress is so good, in fact, that I am able to head back to work on Monday!
 With pain usually comes the opportunity to learn. In my case, I have learned a few things that may be valuable to our friends so I thought sharing was appropriate. First insight: falling with outstretched hands and arms is a bad idea, but not near as bad as falling directly on your flipping neck!
 While snowboarding, Kelly and I try to practice things we aren't good at like going down the hill with our right foot forward instead of the regular left foot stance. We figure sooner or later we'll be in the half pipe at the x-games, but first things first. While I wish I could say I was doing some fancy move, in reality all I was doing was trying to "ride switchfoot" as the kids say. I hit a rut in the packed snow while turning and my board just jumped forward like someone pulled the rug out from under my feet. I've learned not to throw my hands down so I don't break my wrists, but these falls happen so fast I didn't realize I was heading straight for my neck.
 The good thing about working in health care is that you have a good idea about what you just did. The bad thing about working in health care is that you have a good idea what you just did. As soon as I hit, there was an instant lightning bolt feeling down both arms followed by some amazing fire in both hands.
 So I boarded down the rest of the hill and told Kelly about my fun new sensations and we walked over to grab some professional help. The help turned into a c-collar, a backboard, ambulance ride, CT-scan, MRI and ruined Saturday for our awesome house guests from DC. Sorry Liz and Rick!!
 After some debate between doctors in the ER I was allowed to go home with "negative MRI results". After some string pulling and being ignored by the VA, we got a second opinion on the MRI and the same pictures turned from sort-of-bad to herniated disk. I'd say someone dropped the ball at the ER. The Dr. started me on some steroids and surgery has been a pretty real option. The GREAT news I got on Wednesday is that surgery is off the table for now and will stay that way as long as I don't go back to feeling that fire!!
 To stay away from surgery all I have to do is keep myself out of any car accidents or head banging heavy metal concerts. My rock-n-roll career is over before it ever began... so sad.
 Kelly and I both want to thank everyone who prayed for us and kept us in their thoughts as we were dealing with this craziness. It is great to have friends and family who are so good to us. My co-workers even threw me a surprise get well party! The best news is that I'm back to work on Monday, we can start focusing back on the adoption, and the doc simply wants me to eeeaaaase my way back into normal life. We'll keep you updated and start putting up more blogs in the very near future. Thanks again for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment