life as we know it

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Busted

I had another Sabbath yesterday. It was ironically also Veterans Day, and I happen to be very proud of the vets in my life, including my grandpa, father and husband. Nick was in the Army for ten years, serving in the Infantry, where he learned that Fort Drum is the coldest place on earth (seriously, they sent soldiers from Alaska there for cold weather training. Nick's first day was -50 degrees, as in, temperature, as in, pre-wind chill) and as Military Police, where he learned that the police are not appreciated for the job that they do. Here's a couple pictures to honor my hubby.


Nick and my dad at his welcome home ceremony in 2007


meeting in Frankfurt for Christmas in 2006


I had this made for Nick to display all of his Army stuff
We celebrated by hitting the slopes! We were blessed with the gifts of season passes to Loveland Ski Area this year, so we intend to make the most of it. We had a BLAST. Our boards were great and although I'm paying the price for working on breaking in my boarding boots, it was nice to be out and together all day. We took a few good spills practicing our skills, which include 360s and quick pivot turns as of yesterday. You may know that my LEAST favorite part of snowboarding is getting off the lift (should I be embarrassed to admit this?). Seriously, skiers have it so easy. Stand up, start to ski straight down the hill. As a boarder, we have to make it off the lift bench with only one foot strapped in the bindings, proceed to sit in the snow, strap ourselves back in and then attempt to gracefully stand back up while your feet are firmly attached to a solid board. So perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic, but seriously, least.favorite. Nick and I are lucky to live in a place where we can hop in the car and take a reasonable drive to the slopes for a day. We didn't get any pictures yesterday (we forgot!), but I think we looked pretty similar to this:

via
via
Nick and I felt pretty sorry for the schmucks that looked like this (which certainly wasn't us):

via

And that would definitely not be a reason my body feels b.u.s.t.e.d. today. Nope, for sure not.

We're looking forward to a fun season and I'm looking forward to having the mountains this winter to encourage my time to take a step back, breathe, relax and enjoy time with my husband. Thanks for following us in this journey (and for believing that I looked like that boarding. You do believe it, right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment