life as we know it

Friday, November 25, 2011

It's my favorite!

In church last week, our pastor shared the diary of a dog versus the diary of a cat. It went like this... {via}

The Dog's Diary 

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Playing with a ball at the dog park. Duke's favorite thing!

Jumping into the lake. Duke's favorite thing!

Running through the snow. Duke's favorite thing!

At the drive-in movie with dad. Duke's favorite thing!


The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
    The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.
 
What a difference in perspective. I often think of my perspective surrounding responsibilities I have and how my sometimes poor attitude affects how I go about these responsibilities. For instance, what if my day looked something like this...
 
6:00 a.m. - Wake up; enjoy a warm shower and breakfast and be thankful for all I have been blessed with. My favorite thing!
7:30 a.m. - Go to work with the opportunity to help provide for my family while improving the quality of life for my patients at the same time. My favorite thing!
6:30 p.m. - Home from work, opportunity to clean up the house a bit and make dinner, grateful to have a nice home to clean and food to cook. My favorite thing!
7:30 p.m. - Spend quality time with the husband and pup, laughing and having fun with my family. My favorite thing!
 
I could look at my daily life, each task and responsibility, as a chance to be present and engaged and truly enjoy it as my favorite thing, as opposed to having the cat's perspective (I'm allergic to cats, anyway). Yes, some of these things are easier to be on my favorite thing list. i.e. Waiting for my daughter while she is in Ethiopia and I'm here in the US...my favorite thing...? I could definitely work harder, however, at trying to make the most of it. Make it a favorite thing? Spend more energy on my family and myself, knowing that once she arrives, we'll be hunkering down working hard at our transition. 

For now? 9:30 p.m. - get back to putting lights and ornaments on the Christmas tree we cut down today. My favorite thing.

2 comments: